Friday, April 26, 2013

This Color Dare is Dedicated to Mom :)

Welcome back to another Color My Heart Color Dare!  Every week we post a new color-related challenge for you to try with your Close to My Heart Color Pallet.  If you don't have the specific colors to participate, please feel free to substitute similar ones or you can see one of our fabulous CTMH consultants to get your hands on our amazing products for next time!  :)

This week, we have a second round of Buzz and Bumble colors:  Creme Brulee, Goldrush, and Sunset.  When I read the colors, I KNEW what I was going to make as an embellishment for whatever project I made, AND who it would be for!  I love instant inspiration like that!

A fantastically crafty fellow teammate, Cathy Derouche, has been sharing her method of making these darling flowers with just cardstock and our Cricut Art Philosophy Cartridge daisy cuts.  You can see more HERE on her blog.  I have been wanting to make one, and knew this would be the perfect way to decorate a gift for my mother for Mother's Day.  She adores Black-Eyed Susan and Daisies! Thanks, Cathy!



This is a super-easy and fun gift to give!  I scoured the internet and Pinterest for the directions to make this particular box, but didn't find anything except the size for the papers around the candy pieces.  According to Pamela O'Connor's directions, they are 1 x 3 inches.  I found that if you cut the matchbox on the Cricut Artiste Cartridge at 4.5 inches in relative size, the box is the perfect size to hold 9 paper-wrapped Hershey's Nuggets candies.

I just love how the flowers Cathy makes have so much dimension!  There are three cuts each in three different sizes (2.75, 2.5, and 2) of the Daisy cut on page 28 of the Art Philosophy booklet.  I used the Creme Brulee Cardstock for the petals and the Cocoa Cardstock for the center.  The center is made with the 3D flower on page 69 cut at 2.5. 


This is a great time for me to introduce another of my Five Fave CTMH tools!  This one just missed the top 5, but is definitely in the top 10--the Quilling Tool.  It is perfect for rolling the 3D flower in the center, but it really came in handy for shaping these petals too...



I also used the My Acrylix Perfect Fit--Mom stamp set for this project.  The sentiment is stamped in Cocoa on a shape that I cut from the Artiste Cartridge with my Cricut on Champagne Cardstock.  I used the same color CS for the inside box of the slider.  The Buzz and Bumble B&T Duos were perfect to use for this project.  Bling?  Of COURSE!


This cleverly hidden message will be revealed as the candies disappear...


A word of advice on the candy.  Make sure you buy enough Nuggets.  Some of them are inevitably lost in the creative process...


 Here is a shot of the matchbox open with the candy inside.


I hope you have a chance to try this box sometime--it is a great gift to give in a pinch!  And you simply HAVE to try making one of these flowers--Cathy has me hooked on them!  :)

Hope to you see you over at this week's Color Dare!  :)

15 comments:

  1. The flower is beautiful!! I think you might have another convert! Your mom will be thrilled to have such a thoughtful, color coordinated gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get it, don't you! I am so thrilled that Cathy shared those with us...they are as easy as they are gorgeous! Thanks, Becca! :)

      Delete
  2. GOOOOOORRRRRGEEEOOOOUUUUUSSSSSS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks, Katy! You have got to try one...I am making white daisies next. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! Cathy's flower design is absolutely the perfect touch. Thanks so much! :)

      Delete
  4. ooooohhhhh!!!! totally gorgeous. I want to stop right now and play.... instead of finishing the prep for tonight's workshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use it as motivation! Lol...too late, I know...thanks Lalia!

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous flower! Thanks for sharing it, Amie, as well as the awesome wrapped nuggets and gift box. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amie, your flower is gorgeous! What a great gift for your mom! I would love to receive a gift like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So would I! Chocolate? Yes, please! Thanks, Sarah! :)

      Delete
  7. This is an amazing (and scrumptious!) project and I SOOO love that you included sizes, directions & links for recreation by your dear readers. That black-eyed susan is to die for (or maybe dye for), and the slider box would be useful for so many things. Even though I'm doing a pretty good job of keeping CTMH afloat all by myself, I always see another product you've featured that tempts me...in this case the Mother's Day stamp set. I thought it was a little cutsie in the catalogue, but looks MAHvelous in this week's challenge colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they could stay in business between the two of us, no problem, then! ;) I was iffy on the set at first until I saw that same stamp on a card. LOVE the shape of that one! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  8. wonderful project, Amie! Thanks for sharing your tips on using the quilling tool to curl the flowers too! Your size details will make this easy to replicate. THANKS for the inspiration (as usual!)
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding some sparkle to my day with your comments!